NOTE: THIS IS AN UNOFFICIAL FANSITE.

Neither the author nor the host of this blog is affiliated in any way with The Price is Right, FremantleMedia North America, CBS Television, or any of the products or services mentioned herein.

The views and opinions expressed are entirely those of the author, and do not reflect those of Google, CBS, FremantleMedia, Drew Carey, or indeed any other known human being.

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

TPiRecap: 5 May 2015 (Edición Especial del Cinco de Mayo)


Episodio #
7143K
Fecha de Emisión
5 May 2015
VTR
10 March 2015
Primeros Cuatros
Danielle, Joanne, Carl, Patricia
Disposición
L-R
Modelas
Manuela Abreález, Rachel Reynolds

Yep, it's Cinco de Mayo, and this recapper's getting in the spirit of things... well, as much as this recapper can with their somewhat-disused Spanish. Heh. ^^;; So please, forgive any translation errors!

1. Three Brothers stand-up paddleboard w/paddle (MA)
Danielle
Joanne
Carl
Patricia
695
795
800
1000



$1598

Juego del Montañisto (lit. "The Mountain Climber's Game"):
Trip to Playa Flamingo, Costa Rica (6n, Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa, round-trip airport transfer; $6,715; MA)

(RR with the premios pequeños)
  • Remington ceramic curling iron
  • Hamilton Beach 2-slice toaster
  • Silicone gummy bear molds

Curling iron
$30
13 steps to 13
$17


0
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15

This does not look good for Johannes.

Toaster
$30
Stays put!
$30















10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25

Phew! That helps.

Candy maker
$35
5 steps to 18
$40







¡GANA!
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21

Umbral: 3

Great recovery after a scary start!

2. Pyle 200W A/V receiver w/2 waterproof speakers (MA)
Danielle
Joanne
Carl
Rodolfo
750
999
600
899

$1000



¿Vienes o Te Vas?:
Summerset 12pc outdoor seating group (RR)

COMING
GOING

5
4
1
7
$7145
PÉRDIDA



I got roped in on this one myself. Always seem to forget that outdoor furniture can be quite pricey indeed.

3. Six pairs of unisex designer sunglasses (JE)
Danielle
Kristi
Carl
Rodolfo
1
350
470
300
SUICIDIO

$594
SUICIDIO

...Sheesh...

10 Intentos:
  1. Steamfast compact fabric steamer (RR)
  2. Sony PlayStation4 game console w/3 games & accessories (RR)
  3. 2015 Ford Fiesta S (1.6L, 5MT; MA)

Fabric Steamer
4 6 0

1
46
4 6 0
THIS COULD BE A LONG DAY...
2
60
4 6 0

3
64
4 6 0
URGE TO DESTROY UNIVERSE RISING
4
40
$40
FINALLY

Think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts... I'm in my happy place...

Game system
8 5 6 0

5
865
8 5 6 0
AIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
6
658
8 5 6 0
YOU HAVE TO BE DOING THIS ON PURPOSE
7
650
8 5 6 0
A SLIGHT IMPROVEMENT
8
680
$680
EVEN MORE OF AN IMPROVEMENT

All I can say is, stranger things have happened...

Car
4 9 1 0 6

9
14906
4 9 1 0 6
...BUT NOT OFTEN
10
16409
$14,690
LEY DE CERO ASESINATO

Yes, Carl, you were on the right track with your $14K instinct and the Peanut Gallery was wrong. I give you full marks for that much. But you still either forgot the Zero Rule or had no clue it even existed in the first place. I haven't had a more painful experience watching this game in ages. >_<

(CC1: PetAction Plus)
Rueda Grande #1 (lit. "Big Wheel")

Joanne
35
75
1.10

$1,000

Carl
5
75
.80

$1,314
Patricia
85
.85
WIN


Yeah... I needed a few minutes after that 10 Chances debacle.
4. Dimplex electric fireplace (RR)
Danielle
Kristi
Omar
Rodolfo
8500
1
12000
899



$1750

Yes, twelve thousand dollars. That's no typo on my part. Seriously, what kind of show d'ya think this is, Omar? o_O Definitely a two-Yukari round.

Día de Compras (lit. "Shopping Day"):
  1. Cuisinart coffeemaker & espresso machine (MA)
  2. Honda CRF-125FB Big Wheel offroad motorcycle
  3. Five pairs of Tory Burch designer shoes (RR)
  4. Vizio 70" 3D LED Smart HDTV w/8 pairs of glasses (RR)
...Couldn't be any simpler if you ask me.

Target: $6,500
Prize
ARP
Remaining
3D LED HDTV
$2,200
$4300
Offroad bike
$3,199
$1101

Rodolfo: "I think they want me to pick the coffeemaker!" [cut to a shot of audience members holding up various forms of footwear]

...Can't tell if Rodolfo was kidding or not. After 10 Chances I take nothing for granted. But yes, the coffee stuff is to be avoided at all costs in this setup, and so...

Designer shoes
$1,535
¡GANA!
(Coffee makers: $600)

Easy win is easy, but at this point I'll take it! And so will Rodolfo, obviously!

Contestant's Row can only improve from here, folks. Look on the bright side. It can't get a whole lot worse...
5. Butterfly table tennis package (RR vs. MA)
Danielle
Kristi
Omar
Debra
999
500
600
7500


$950


After a twelve-thousand dollar bid a few minutes ago, Omar redeems himself (thanks in part to another head-scratching bid!). Seriously, where are we finding these people?

La $iete de Buena(?) Suerte:
2015 Mini Cooper hardtop (1.5L, center armrest, steptronic AT, all-weather mats; RR)

2
███████ $7

Between this and still smarting from 10 Chances and the recent follies in the Row, I would be lying if I said I wasn't tempted to just punt this episode into the trash at this point. But the absolute last thing I'm going to do here is give a certain someone exactly what he's been begging for. I'm made of tougher stuff than anything a TV game show (or world-class troll, emphasis on the last three letters of "class") can throw at me.

3
2
3
███████ $7
7
2
3
8
██████ $6
5
2
3
8
4
█████ $5

Hey, I may have been a bit premature in my ragequit instinct! If he calls 5 now he will automatically win!

9
2
3
8
4
█████▒▒ $5



9
2
3
8
4
9
█████▒▒ $5
¡DÍOS MÍO!

That... was luck. Pure, unadulterated luck. The one time... the one time (not counting Bob's brief return last month) that a player could have fallen into the Five Trap and actually won in a no-brainer... is the one time the player tries to think they're smarrrrrter than the av-er-age producer. It worked out beautifully this time, of course, so no complaining, but jeez... wouldn't it have been a bummer if it had been a 1 instead? And it could have been, just as easily.

Protip: There are no points for style on The Price is Right. If you've got an easy win, take the easy win; don't try to get too clever for your own good.

It certainly made for an exciting win, though!

Danielle is about to cast away to Leftover Island...
6. Nike fitness band & Apple iPad Air (16GB) (RR, MA)
Danielle
Kristi
Joseph
Debra
599
501
500
497
$674


SUICIDIO

Danielle escapes at the last moment! (And she'd been in the Row so long I actually forgot she was in a wheelchair... which makes that IUFB curious...)

Un Precio Justo: $3695
  1. Avanti Fitness folding treadmill (RR)
  2. Crystal 3-person infrared sauna (MA)

...Jeez, If you thought the fitness band was questionable as a prize in this situation... a treadmill? Obviously they couldn't have known Danielle would be the one playing for it, so I'm not faulting anyone for this, but... yeah, that's kinda... yeah.

The sauna is the one I'd pick, and Danielle agrees...

Treadmill
Sauna

$3695
$2400
$3695
¡GANA!

...This doesn't happen too often, folks, but... I'm completely speechless.

(CC2: Liptor lawyers/LCTT)
Rueda Grande #2
Danielle
75
50
1.25

$6,769

...Yes, she spun again on a 75. I don't get it either, but... nerves, I suppose. Only possible explanation.

Rodolfo
20
80
1.00
Bono de $1,000
Omar
35
35
.70

$24,803
Giro Extra
5
Bono de $10,000


Grandes Premios: Rodolfo top winner, Patricia runner-up.

1. April Showers Bring May Flowers (Pilgrims Not Included)
  • Trip to Amsterdam, the Netherlands (6n, Hilton Amsterdam; RR)
    • Garden tour
    • ½d tulip fields tour
  • 2015 Fiat 500 Pop (1.4L, 5MT; MA)
Rodolfo bids $16,900.
(My bid: $25,862)

2. Grow-case?
  • GreenWorks 5pc eco-friendly cordless lawn tool selection (MA)
  • Toshiba 17.3" laptop comuuter (16GB RAM, 250GB HD, Intuit Quicken financial software; RR)
  • Avalon 16' Eagle Family pontoon boat w/trailer (MA)
Patricia bids $23,000.
(My bid: $28,988)


Moment of Truth
2. Patricia
Party boat
1. Rodolfo
Amsterdam/Car
Bid
$23,000
$16,900
ARP
$27,974
$26,910
Result
$4,974
$10,010

Patricia wins!
$36,374 (Chyron)
$20,284
My result
$1,014
$1,048


LEADER BOARD: Episode #7143K
Patricia
$36,374
Omar

$24,803
Rodolfo
$20,284
Danielle

$6,769
Carl


$1,314
Joanne


$1,000
Offered
$128,971
Won
$90,544
Pct.
61.68%
Bonus
$11,000
Avg.
$15,091
Median
$13,527


15 comments:

  1. Wow, what an episode. Everything from the bad bidding to the $0.75 spin, what a crazy day. Also, what poor taste by the show to offer a lady in a wheelchair fitness equipment. That's just tasteless. I know she could easily give that stuff to someone else (in the family) and I know the show couldn't have seen this coming, but no. Just no. Offer her something else. Let her play Grand Game instead of struggling to find another prize for her to win. What a bogus deal. I'd feel ripped off if I were her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What the fuck, dude!?! You DO realize that they pick the prizes long before they pick the contestants, right?

      Devin even says so right there in the recap!

      Delete
    2. A man in a wheelchair won a car playing Cover Up in what I think was the Barker era. Slightly different, but sort of the same concept. What would have been the reaction if that happened this season?

      I want to know if there was (also) ever a time where they had to scramble to get a game set up because of someone, because of disability.

      Delete
    3. Alex: GSL knows. Note they did say, "...and I know the show couldn't have seen this coming..."

      Mandy: A car can be converted for use by someone in a wheelchair. I've seen it before (mostly things like moving the brake and accelerator pedals to paddle controls in the steering column). As far as scrambling to change a game setup, the closest I've seen to that was just recently when they played Range Game with a wheelchair-bound contestant who couldn't reach up to hit the button; in that instance, the player tapped Drew on the arm when he wanted to stop, and Drew hit the button for him at that moment. There has also been a playing of Cover Up where the player called the numbers they wanted for the car, and a model performed the necessary action. Just little things like that.

      I wonder if they offer a substitute prize of equal or lesser value in these instances (or perhaps just the cash equivalent)...

      Delete
    4. ...Sorry, Mandy, I typed that before I realized you were talking about the very same Cover Up playing I was—and had the video evidence to prove it. ^^;

      Delete
    5. Alex: No need to act like that. I already know the prizes and games are pre-determined before the show even begins. Which is why I said "....and I know the show couldn't have seen this coming". Also, (I might be wrong with this, but....) contestants are chosen randomly at the start as well. What I'm trying to say is that this isn't the right prize for someone like Danielle and I'd feel insulted if that were me. Though if I were her, I'd keep my cool too.

      Delete
  2. OY!!!

    You sure this episode didn't tape on or was intended to air on 4-20? >_<

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where are you getting that number? I triple-checked my figures...

      Delete
    2. this golden-road net 5/5/2014 episode, this total winning is $98,854. oh, I'm sorry.
      but 'Just $242 short of a second DSW in as many shows' in your 4/30/2015 recap, actually $342, not $242. because since difference $592, and DSW range is less than $250.

      Delete
  4. FYI, Coming or Going translates to Vienes o Te Vas. At least that's what they called it on Atinale al Precio. But it is a literal translation.
    Aside from that, I've nothing to say about all those "lapses in judgement" throughout this show; you all took care of that job.
    Well, OK. The audience must have hit the margaritas, Coronas, and Dos Equis hard before taping.
    That's it, people! That's all you get!

    ReplyDelete
  5. when last number at remain $5+, this game is lockgame. but surprised he choose 9, and lucky won.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To copy-edit your Spanish...

    "First Four" should be los "primeros cuatro" (concursantes is understood, thus the adjective takes the plural)

    Rodolfo won "un *bono* de $1,000" and took "un giro extra."

    Going by my Spanish and terminology actually used on Atínale al Precio (both the original '97 version and the 2010 revival), here's the lineup:

    La Montaña Siniestra (The Sinister Mountain/Cliffhangers)
    Vienes o Te Vas? (Do you come or go?/Coming or Going)
    10 Intentos, 10 Oportunidades (this game never appeared on Atinale as far as I know)
    Día de Compras (Shopping Spree, never appeared on Atinale either. I'd've called it something like "Vamos de compras", "Let's go shopping" or something like that)
    7 de la Suerte (Lucky $even--on Atínale it was "13 de la Suerte" to account for six-digit car prices)
    Un Precio Justo/Un Precio Correcto (both work, this game didn't appear on Atínale either)
    SCSD = "La Ruleta de los Pesos" on Atínale, though I think I heard it referred to as "La Ruleta de la Fortuna" on one occasion
    El Gran Paquete (Showcases)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your corrections; my college Spanish courses were such a long time ago it's not even funny. 8^/ And this used to be my bread-and-butter subject, too. Argh.

      I wasn't aware of the terminology used on Atinale al Precio, so in a lot of cases I simply came up with my own names that I thought might have worked as a near-equivalent. I totally blanked on Coming or Going, as you can tell. Ah well, that's what I get for relying too much on Google Translate to fill in the gaps in my fading memory. XD

      Delete
  7. I know it may be hard to switch out a prize at the last minute, but I would not be surprised if Danielle was offered a substitute of similar or equal value. As for the games, I don't know if it was you Devin or someone else who mentioned this. I had heard that back in Roger's day, he would often keep "Take Two" as a back up for "Race Game" in case such a situation occurred and a similar back up plan for "Bonkers"

    ReplyDelete